[Epic] [E40K] Specialized Detachments was A few comments on E40k

From: W. Gregory Klett <cyclops_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 19:45:10 -0500

>One thing I noticed. Most people seem to be creating general purpose
>>detachments. I.E A few shooty units, a few cc unitcs, ect. Has anyone
>given >though to specilized detachments. This doesn't mean you have to
>have all the >same unit, just a specifiec mission in line. I play eldar,
>so this occurs a >little mor naturally, especally since they have such
>small detachments that you >almost have to use diffrent detachments for
>diffrent missions. For instance.

 This only makes sense to me. Why mix artillery and Close combat units
in the same detachment? I fail to see why anyone would want to combine
such different units in a single detachment.

 I know that many modern military units have attached support in the
form of artillery backing up an infantry company, but hell, most modern
artillery would be off-board in the Epic scale anyways.

 From a game based sense, especially with prepatory bombardment, Long
and Short ranged fire units would have different orders, movement
and target preferences. If I prep-bombard with a detachment, it limits
the remaining units to 5cm of move as per Overwatch. True, have the units
mixed would give larger units, but leave some of the units with little
or nothing to do.

  Greg Klett

| W. Gregory Klett | Those that can, do! |
| cyclops_at_... | Those that could and won't, dream. |
| | Those that can't, pretend and brag about it! |