Re: [Epic] Redemption (was) Old Epic

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 19:39:18 -0400 (EDT)

JEberhardt_at_... writes:
> >> By the way, any news about the epic computer game? Is it still
> >> being made? Which edition will it be? (could be both, like the blood
> >> bowl fiasco?)
>
> > I dunno. I haven't heard about this in a long long time. I remember
> > looking at its screen shots and stats and thinking, "my, what an
> > inferior looking product." But that was quite a long time ago.

        I was quite pleased with the screen shots, actually. It's a
strategy game, after all. Admittedly, my standards of graphics are
much lower than other people, but they seemed to be faithful
renderings of the beloved Leviathan and other units. Game play was
going to be the big factor, not screen shots.

> Yup, we're still doing it. At this point, the working title is
> "Redemption." The old version that you saw was probably the real-time
> version of the game - and yeah, it wasn't all that hot. What we've got now
> is in 16-bit color (looks a heck of a lot better), and is phase based. If
> you're familiar with any of our other games, you can start by thinking of
> an Epic version of Steel Panthers...

        Wow. This I have to see. Is there more information since
that web site last year on the real-time version?

> 'Skinda based on both. We started off the project with the 2nd edition,
> but since then, 40K has come out. I'd love to get some feedback from
> people, but I don't want to flood the newsgroup with this.

        I'd love to talk about it, so feel free to e-mail me with any
sort of questions you want.

> >> (really, orks vs. imperial guard, are they trying to be trite?)
>
> There are Ultramarines, too. Hey - worked in Battle for Armageddon...

        Battle for Armageddon got old because there was only one
scenario, and one set of armies (Chaos assaulting SM? I get the games
confused) You couldn't play Chaos defending, or have any other armies
in the game.
        If Battle for Armageddon is one scenario in the game, that'd
be great, but if that was the entire game, I don't think it'd be worth
playing after a couple of days. If you want to appeal to wargamers as
well as the standard video game player, you'll want to try to get them
to feel for the army they're commanding. I know that this particular
player would be much more excited if Eldar played a major role in the
game, as I am an Eldar player in Epic.

Mark