Re: [Epic] New Epic40K?

From: DAVID C LADO, DEPT OF NEUROSCIENCE <LADO_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:31:59 -0500 (EST)

> O.K., I was all set to sell all of my stuff and just forget about all the
> effort I put into this game. Now I've read some of W.D. 208 and gotten a
> better idea of how the game might work. I think I like it. Now I just
> want to know from the rest of you that have gotten it, if I should. I've
> committed a lot of money and time to this hobby since Adeptus Titanicus. I
> lived through the first change. Now it seems like the second is bring the
> game back around to the first edition, which I have to admit I kind of
> liked a little bit more. So what is the lists opinion? Is it worth the
> money to get the game or not?

I like the look of the game alot, though I have yet to play (sniff :( )

>Has anyone else based up the ruins? I did some of mine, and they look
>great...

I based mine on some soft hobby foam (it's the same material as most
mouse pads, but less than 1/2 as thick). I cut the foam into
multiples of 6 cm x 6 cm blocks (i.e. some were 6x6, 6x12, 12x12,
or L shaped), with the thought that these could be put together
as a large "mega-complex".

I also hit on a very nice technique for decorating the bases. I chopped
up some of the empty sprues into tiny pieces and mixed in some
chopped up toothpicks, bits of sodder, and any other junk I found
lying around (literally). I had been making terrain recently, so
the basement was covered with styrofoam shavings, bits of flocking,
dead bugs and other junk.

I covered the base with PV glue, stuck the ruins on, sprinkled a
generous portion of chooped up plastic and toothpicks, and then
flocked the base with a thick coat of styrofoam shavings. When it
had dried, I spray painted it black, which melted all the styrofoam.

The result is all the platic, metal and wood bits on the base were
covered with a thin layer of black melted styrofoam, making the
base look very rubbly. (I was pleased, anyway)

Using all the ruins (including the ones on that came with the stands)
I had enough for 18 stands of ruins ranging in size from 1 to 4 6x6
cm stands each.

David