Re: [Epic] 40K/IG infantry Detachments

From: Thomas Bloom <tbloom_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:26:30 -0500

>On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Thomas Bloom wrote:
>
>> Anybody else think that the IG infantry Detachments are overpriced? You
>> can usually get space Marines for about the same cost. Examples:
>>
>> IG Heavy Co. SM Devastator Co.
>> 3 X Command squads 96 points 5 Devastator Squads 200 points
>> 9 X Heavy squads 126 points Make one an HQ 25 points
>> total points 222 total points 225
>> FP at range 45: 18 FP at range 45: 20
>> FP at range 30: 21
>>

>Well, the IG DO get 12 stands, which means they have to loose a lot more
>stands. They still have more stands even if you double the # of SM stands
>via armour difference. Also, clogging the board comes in handy.

Not really. The above IG detachment has 12 stands vs. 11 SM Stands. Wow
one extra stand, yippy.

(assault comparasons snipped)

>True. However, not everyone is going to do everything well. This isn't
>true. The IG have better firepower than the bugs.

Most armies have better firepower than the bugs. Thats not the point my
point is why would you take IG infantry when you could take Marines? The
only reason to take IG infantry is for "flavor". You could take SM troops
that can do the same job (assault, FP, whatever) better for the same price.
And get a higher stratagy rating to boot.

>While GW did make the armies closer to each other with this version, each
>still have their own personality. Why don't the Eldar get cav? the IG
>assault? Or allmost everyone Rampage? Couldn't the IG have a mortar team
>that does disrupt? Stormtroopers? I can't give many other examples as I
>only have the IG army book from 40K, but you get the idea.
>
> Ed "Overload" Davis

In the old Edition, and in all the "fluff", the IG is a LARGE force of
mediocre troops. While they are still mediocre they cost as much as an SM
force would.

       "...'cause when its time to collect its only heros who pay..."
                               Hero, Ministry
                                   Thomas