Re: [Epic] [E40K] Some Questions...

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 19:31:43 +0100

> > MOVEMENT
> > (Note: An 8x4' table is 244x122cm) Under March orders a detachment of
> > Assault Marines in Rhinos could, at least as far as I can see in the
> > rules, March 85cm (30cm tripled, less 5 for unloading) in the Rhinos,
> > then move a further 55cm (10cm doubled for J/Packs, tripled for marching,
> > less 5 for unloading), for a total of 140cm! Is this correct? Or are the
> > +/- 5cm load/unload penalties applied to the unit's SPEED (it says
> > MOVEMENT in the rulebook), for a total of 120cm (25cmx3+15cmx3)?
> >
> > It's not a major as Marching troops are vulnerable to return fire, but an
> > interesting quirk we think.
>
> You also cannot pass within 10cm of any enemy troops.

Am I the only one to get FUBARed by this? Spot who forgopt the snap
fire rules when he tried to move his rhinos 90cms across the table and
into cover behind the enemy on thursday night :(

> > FIREFIGHT/CLOSE COMBAT
> > (Example: A unit with zero (0) Firepower is firefought by a unit with 1
> > Firepower). The unit with 1 Firepower gets a modifier of +4 to its
> > Firefight roll (Firepower 4+ times better than the target). Is this
> > correct? We assume so (its just bad luck to get caught without support).
>
> Yeah sucks to bring knives to a gunfight eh? It's correct.

But with the same detachment of 3 orphan rhinos, I found that if I left
them within 15cms of any enemy detachment, in the resulting firefight
they would get shot to heck and back with a FP of 0, but if just one
rhino was moved into contact, the detachment suddenly had an assault
value of 2 - 0 for the unit in contact, +2 for units within 15cm and in
support.

Weird, eh?

But is it right that a unit with a factor of 1 beats a unit with a
factor of 0 by 4 or greater? I know this is correct acooring to the
laws of mathematics, but it wouldn't be the first time a group of games
designers failed to appreciate one of the subtleties of numbers.

Richard