Re: [Epic] 40K/IG infantry Detachments

From: Thomas Bloom <tbloom_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:12:56 -0500

>I have a problem with the detachments being used in this argument. Try
>these detatchments on for size:
>

>Imperial Guard
> Command Section:
> 2 Imperial Guard units 64 Points
> Main Force
> 6 Guard Heavy units 84 Points
>
> TOTAL 148 Points
>

>Space Marines
> Command Section:
> 1 HQ unit +25 Points
> Main Force
> 1 SM Tactical Squad 30 Points
> 3 SM Devestator Squads 120 Points
>
> TOTAL 175 Points

Ditch the tac squad (you wouldn't put a tac squad in a Hvy weap det.) and
add 25 points for the captian (you need a captian or a librarian). end
result 170 points for The SMs. Now try and add more Heavies to either Det.
Two more SM devastators are 40 points. Two more IG Heavies will cost 32
(for the HQ) + 28 for two heavies. Wich means your IG squad is now 208 pts,
and your SM squad is 210. The IG detachment does have two more Tac units,
but the Marines have all sorts of bounus' and the same long range FP. IG
can only outdo the SMs in Tac units.

[\Rant]
I want to make an all IG army but they need some specilist troops and every
time I try and make them I wind up thinking "Damn you know if I just bought
marine Infantry....". I feel bad taking an essentialy Space Marine army
with only IG artilery+Titians. Feels like I'm just taking the best from
two different armies. I don't need the IG infantry to be better than the
SMs I just want it to be cheaper. *sigh* Actually it is sort of better to
buy an IG armor force and buy the Heavy Weapon Squads as support units for
your Lemon Rus tanks since you only need to buy one HQ unit for every 10
tank squads opposed to one every three.

[/Rant]

       "...'cause when its time to collect its only heros who pay..."
                               Hero, Ministry
                                   Thomas