Re: [Epic] Please Critique My Chaos Horde

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 07:42:02 GMT

At 07:14 PM 27/4/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello. I would be very greatful if anyone would be willing to take the
>time to comment and or make suggestions on my 5,000 point chaos army.
>This army is designed to fight along side an ork ally against an imperial
>guard army and an Eldar army. I have designed it sort of charge forward.
>The more "fragile" units like Juggers will be screened by regenerating
>infantry like Bloodletters and Trolls. I will also load one warbandof
>trolls into the Plague tower in order to get them into battle a little
>more quickly. The greater demons will largely be around to distract enemy
>fire. With four greater demons, I should have enough cards around to keep
>the Bloodthirster, Plague Tower, or Lord of Battles alive for a while
>(the Keeper will most likely be in the woods or behind a hill where he
>will be safe from fire but still able to use his auara of slaanesh). If I
>can get the Bloodthirster into CC, he should wreak a lot of havoc against
>my eldar or IG opponent. Even if he should happen to lose, I could burn a
>card (assuming I haven't wasted them all trying to get into CC...that
>would be the worst-case scenario though). Meanwhile, the bloodletters and
>trolls should be arriving to delvier a crushing blow in CC. During this,
>the renegade IG artillery company is pounding away at the
>opponent...softening him up for the initial assault (by the way, can
>renegae IG units go on first fire or only advance and charge like chaos
>units?). Please let me know what you think. The army is listed below and
>is devided by Greater demons or IG company.
>
>5,000 Point Chaos Horde
>Lord of Battles - 500
>Khorne Juggers - 150
>Khorne Juggers - 150
>Khorne Juggers - 150
>Khorne Juggers - 150
>Subtotal: 1100
>
>Bloodthirster - 300
>Bloodletters - 150
>Bloodletters - 150
>Bloodletters - 150
>Troll Warband - 250
>Troll Warband - 250
>Subtotal: 1250
>
>Plague Tower - 400
>Troll Warband - 250
>Troll Warband - 250
>Minotaur Warband - 250
>Subtotal: 1150
>
>Keeper of Secrets - 300
>Subtotal: 300
>
>Artillery Company- 600
>Bombard Battery - 250
>Leviathan - 350 (mostly to counter the opponents leviathan)
>Subtotal: 1200
>
>By the way....the ork ally for this army is a highly mobile one based
>around the kult of speed and the Goffs but also relies on supporting fire
>from Weirdboy towers, Braincrushas, and a slasha gargant. The IG army
>that it will face has a lot of artillery, many knights, and some SHV's.
>The Eldar army is like a jack of all trades...not particulary good ant
>any one thing but doesn't have too many weaknesses. Seemed very flexible
> [...]

Hi Adam.

It is a very slow army. (Nothing moves faster than 15cm.) At that rate you
will take a lot of fire in the first several turns as you charge across the
board. If you screen your "fragile" troops with trolls or bloodletters,
then since they only move 10cm you will be taking at least another round to
close...

You have very little that will return fire on the enemy. (I would suggest
you get some more long range artillery and just ignore your opponent's
Leviathan...)
If you out range your opponent (like with artillery) then you might force
them to come forward (maybe...)

You could take some IG bikes to assault the enemy in turn two and give him
something cheap and expendable to shoot at while your more effective stuff
gets another round (maybe two) closer to overwhelming the enemy...

It is a practical certainty that if the daemons reach the bulk of the enemy
force, Chaos will win.

It is however, very unlikely that a slow chaos force will live to engage the
enemy.

Do you have an objection to chaos marines?

Chaos marines in rhinos can deploy quicker than anyone else since the rhinos
are a different detatchment to the marines and thus the rhinos can be given
charge orders while the marines inside can be on advance in the first turn...

This would give your oponent something else to worry about while the daemons
charge inexorably closer.

The KOS needs some minions (at least three) and IMO fiends are among the
best units chaos has. They are so cheap it doesn't matter how many get shot...

And a bombard battery is only 200 points isn't it?

Agro