Re: [Epic] [E40k] Firefights and Line of Sight

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:05:55 +0100

William A. Calderwood wrote:

> >Reply to your message of 4/27/97 2:13 AM
> >>>
> >[Snip Stuff]

> differently, but

> Consider real world settings though. While being trained in the Army
> here
> in the use supressive fire is used quite often when assulting an enemy
> position. One must not see the position, just know what general
> direction
> to fire in. So I'd say that any unit within the Assault range (15cm)
> should
> and would provide suppressive fire for the assulting units wether
> they had
> line of sight or not.

If someone is firing 100 yrds to the right of me, I don't care. If
someone cannot hit me because he's at the bottom of a ravine, no matter
how close he is, I don't care. In short, I'm not suppressed by the
noise of someone shooting. What suppresses me are bullets whizzing past
my head, the guy to the right of me taking a shot to the leg, and
grenades landing too damn close for comfort.

Re the LOS position, if you allow units to firefight or support close
combat without LOS your going to allow some obviously daft situations to
occur. Like the units 5cm from each other but separated by a 500ft high
wall - they cannot shoot or cause casualties during shooting, but during
a firefight the wall suddenly ceases to be a problem and the losing side
takes a hit.

Richard