Re: [Epic] [E40k] Thoughts & Questions

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:35:13 -0400

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...> writes:
> > 1) War Engines - why? The titans seem to be even more overpriced
> > than they were in SM. 490 pts for a slow, unmaneuverable, very
> > fragile Reaver? I don't think so. As near as I can figure, their
> > only place is to get rid of other war machines (with death rays).
> > Smaller SHVs might be worth it, I'm not sure.
>
> They seem less fragile to me. The Imperial, Ork, and Tyranid
> Titans can survive hit after hit, and the Eldar Titans ignore most
> hits. <shrug>

        Well, I saw a Reaver get vaporized in one turn by
some Noise Marines & LRs on overwatch. Actually, they just
crippled it, my LoB dealt the final blow with his Doom Burner
(death ray). But the Marines/LRs did an amazing amount of
damage on their own.

> And I still don't understand why all the Tyranid players feel
> that their lack of shielding is fatally crippling.

        I haven't seen the bio-titans in action yet, but lack
of shielding definitely sucks. My LoB spent the whole game
pretty much hiding from a Ordinatus Golgotha (1 vortex/turn).

> > And what they did to the LoB is a crime. 14 Assault indeed!
>
> Wot?!? <sigh> Doesn't it have a CC weapon though?
> Nevermind. Just checked, it *can* have a CC weapon. Quite different.

        And CC weapons only increase the assault value against
other war engines. Kinda sucks.

        On a related note, anyone want to tell me why the Questor
is cheaper than the Subjugator? The Ques has more FP, the Sub
has a pitiful CC weapon that doubles it's pitiful AV against other
War Engines, but gives no short-ranged FP like normal CC weapons.
I don't think the Subjugator is even remotely useful now.

> > 3) While I'm on the topic of daemons, where the HELL are the Beasts
> > of Nurgle? When I was going through the unit summary I figured "oh,
> > they must just be normal daemons," but then I get to the army list
> > and *surprise* there's no point values for them. What's the reason
> > behind this one?!?
>
> I thought Beasts of Nurgle had the basic stat line... But
> yeah, there's no option for fielding them... Hmm... Seems like
> the basic Demon stat line costs 10 points.

        10? I was thinking it might be 5, since the psyker daemons
are 15 pts, and psyker is usually +10.

> > 5) I've heard it said more than once that the new rules are simpler
> > than the SM/TL rules. Bullshit. The new rules are far more
> > complicated. OTOH, the units themselves have no special rules (for
> > the most part).
>
> I'm glad someone agrees with me. OTOH, the game itself *does*
> seem to run faster. But learning Epic 2nd edition was a much fast
> process until you had to figure out stuff like the Wave Serpent out.

        LOL! Ah yes, at least there isn't that factor anymore...

> > 7) What's the 'average' game size anyway? It was 5-6000 points in
> > SM/TL, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be here.
>
> I thought 5-6k in SM/TL was considered a very large game.

        Really? Always seemed just about right for me. Actually,
6k is bordering on 'large', but then 4k is bordering on 'small',
so I guess 5000 was my average game size.

Scott
shupes_at_...