[Epic] Tyrannid War Machines (Tyrannids vs. Chaos)

From: richard milton baird <rmbaird_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:03:17 -0500 (EST)

        This past weekend I fielded bugs against chaos in a 2,000 game.
I brought a couple of asault broods (genestealers, carnies, spawn), an
arty brood (yeah! biovores don't suck any more!!!! What's more, with
three or more of them firing at the same target, they are actually pretty
cool). I also took one dom and a hierdule (armed with two biocannons).
I also took three flier broods (2x 1 harridan and 5 gargoyles and 1x1
harridan and six gargoyles). My opponent took a pretty close combatty
chaos force (I can't remember exactly what all they were, except I
remember slaanesh, zintch, and khorn greater demons and a big, winged
chaos space marine chapter leader being in the mix). He also took
something like 6 or 7 of the chaos arty and the chaos intercepters
(again, not sure what they were, but they had armor 5). He took about
six or so landraiders also, but NO WAR ENGINES. In the first turn, I
threw my fliers at his arty, luckily eating up his interceptors and
taking all but 2 of his Artillery units, and providing enough blast
markers to prevent them from doing anything.
Basically, I kept my Dom and Hierdule together and used them and an
unmounted assault swarm to push my right flank. Granted, I did play hide
and seek with his land raiders for awhile, but after taking out most of
them, my dom and hierdule could go wherever they damn well please with
little fear of anything (by that time I had also trashed all the greater
demons but slannesh who was destined to be the last unit in a detachment
that lost a firefight to a stand of tyrannid warriors).

My Dom proved exceedingly useful. With her warp field and wounds, she's
a pretty hard target. With her 3xAT and 1xdeath ray and 15cm heavy
barrage, she's a shooter too. I used her being a psyker to drop psychic
blast on a landraider as soon as she finished her movement during the
movement phase. Granted, she could have taken a beating, but by using
terrain to keep the Landraiders from all shooting at her at once, she
did a number on my opponent's armor detachment.

My hierdule also proved quite useful. I basically kept it behind cover
untill I had killed or driven off all of my opponent's AT guns, but since
you ignore LOS for supporting fire and IMHO firefights, by keeping my
close combat troops clusterd around it, it kicked much chaos tail. And,
when the big guns were either all dead, or running away, the abillity of
the bug titans to walk through everything, meant that I could chase down
things and with its Fire Power of 16, cut them down in firefights.

So, IMHO, The dom might be too expensive for some people, and the
Hierdule might be too fragile and War engines might be useless except for
against other war engines, but they all worked fine for me.

Did I happen to mentino that Biovores don't suck now?
Later,
Rich