Re: [Epic] Artillery (Was: Hmmm... SM or IG?)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 00:10:38 -0500

At 11:00 AM 4/30/97 -0400, you wrote:

> Oh, something I left out of my earlier comments
>post - why is heavy barrage better than a normal barrage?
>You get the same total FP (unless the game lasts an odd
>number of turns), but you can't keep the pressure on enemy
>dets constant. ie, one turn you barrage them to hell, the
>next turn they escape relatively unscathed.

Well,

1) You can inflict your damage in one turn instead of spreading it out,
which can mean a turn more damage for your opponent before he hits you in
cc. Not much, I know, but it could make a difference.

2) You pile the blast markers up in one turn instead of two. This can be a
big difference in the assault phase immediately after you fire. And since
you roll to remove BMs after each turn, having a bunch of them on one turn
means that there are more left on his detachment during the movement phase
of next turn, which can be _extremely_ useful. Then he has to roll morale
or no overwatch, no assault, no march, and not even any regular movement.
If you have to wait until the fire phase to pile on BMs he already has his
special orders in place.
        If you use prep-bombardment orders, then this benefit is somewhat
lessened, but it is hard to do that first turn (you have to move onto the
board, and 5 cm doesn't cut it), and overwatch is SO nice.

But picture this: basic IG arty company (per 2nd edition TOE) turn 1,
regular orders, set up formation and fire. turn 2 - overwatch to get the
most out of your regular artillery, since the big guns can't move more than
5cm. Turn 3, special order of your choice. I would think prep bombardment
would be best, since at that point you probably want to pin several units.

Minor advantages, but then I don't remember them costing an awful lot more.

Temp