Re: [Epic] Artillery (Was: Hmmm... SM or IG?)

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 21:44:28 -0700

Scott Shupe wrote:

> Alan Brain wrote:
> >
> > IGs Plus
> > 1. ARTILLERY. But it's expensive. Very. And requires a lot of skill for
> > it to be used to maximum effect. But it CAN repeat CAN be very effective
> > indeed in the right hands. It won't be the casualties, it will be the
> > disruption at a critical point. In the hands of an expert, it's
> > wonderful. But in the hands of someone of greatly lesser ability,
> > probably not cost-effective.
>
> The right hands? OK, so what's the proper way
> to use arty in E40k? I've tried using it once or twice
> and it seems OK, but not neccessarily worth the points.

Bear in mind I play Bugs, Orks, and Chaos, none of whom are exactly
known for their fantastic artillery....

What do I fear? I fear a barrage of 90+cm range artillery, used En
Masse, in the movement phase to give me 3 barrage markers (and
incidentally, 4 casualties ). Plus another barrage added in to give me
another 3 in the shooting phase. Followed by an assault.

Trouble is, to get 24 FP you realistically need a minimum of 6 Heavy
Barrages, and this costs over 300 pts + command. But 3 of these units
means that they can give any one unit anywhere on the table an instant 3
Barrage Markers. This isn't much... it's WHERE they go that's important.

> Oh, something I left out of my earlier comments
> post - why is heavy barrage better than a normal barrage?
> You get the same total FP (unless the game lasts an odd
> number of turns), but you can't keep the pressure on enemy
> dets constant. ie, one turn you barrage them to hell, the
> next turn they escape relatively unscathed. This question
> doens't apply to WEs with heavy barrages, of course.

Heavies are more difficult to use, but tend to be longer ranged. At the
right time, at the right place, 3 BMs can be a game winner. But this
means that the rest of your strategy must be formulated so that these
special and rare conditions are made more likely. Which is NOT easy.
Heavies vs Normals means that 1 turn in 2 you get Nada. But in that
other turn, you only need half as much, 350 (700 in the worst case) vs
650 (1300) pts.

One type of artillery is a No-Brainer. Disrupts. An Ork can have a
battery of 9 Disruptors with an effective move of 25cm and enough CC and
long-range firepower to deter any counter, and do this quite cheaply. Or
a more difficult to use one ( 10 cm move ) for peanuts. 5 Orks (45), a
Warboss (40) and 9 Pulsa Rockets (117).

Which does a guaranteed 3 BMs, plus an average of 4.5 others. 7 BMs on
ANY unit will ruin its day. Of course, the range is only 45cm....

Chaos Contagions are great here, as are Bug Biovores. Longer ranged.
Should be well prortected via multiple snapfire vs air attack though, as
otherwise they will be quickly obliterated.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture