Re: [Epic] [E40k] Skimmer LOS was A question...

From: Andrew Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 16:14:09 -0400

> How about we adopt the earlier suggestion - that a popped-up skimmer can
> see over _any_ terrain on the board, but terrain creates a "shadow"
> equal to the height of the terrain that cannot be seen into even by
> popped-up units? This will solve Erik's problem neatly, whilst
> remaining quite simple and straightforward in execution.
I don't like this one all the much myself. It says that a skimmer always
pops up along a line of 45 degrees from the edge of the shadow to the
top of the terrain. Pretend that my slashes are at 45 degrees.

                      \
   \ \
    \ \ For two different pieces of terrain,
     \ +--+\ the skimmer is at two different places.
   +-+\ | | \ I know it is just an approxmation, but
   | | \ | | \ I really think that the other version,
---+ +--.------------+ +---.---------- using a set difference from the
ground, is as easy and makes more sense. Only problem is that from looking
at the models, I would pick a height of 15 cm or so, greatly reducing what
it can see. We used 25 cm in 2nd edition, though I think it looks awful
high.

Although I don't think anybody at GW would consider such a change, if
we were to send one, I'd rather skimmers LOS being looked at from some
distance above the ground. We certainly found it trivial to implement.

andy
askinner_at_...