Re: [Epic] [E40k] Skimmer LOS was A question...

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 16:45:44 -0400 (EDT)

>> How about we adopt the earlier suggestion - that a popped-up skimmer can
>> see over _any_ terrain on the board, but terrain creates a "shadow"
>> equal to the height of the terrain that cannot be seen into even by
>> popped-up units? This will solve Erik's problem neatly, whilst
>> remaining quite simple and straightforward in execution.
>I don't like this one all the much myself. It says that a skimmer always
>pops up along a line of 45 degrees from the edge of the shadow to the
>top of the terrain. Pretend that my slashes are at 45 degrees.
>
> \
> \ \
> \ \ For two different pieces of terrain,
> \ +--+\ the skimmer is at two different places.
> +-+\ | | \ I know it is just an approxmation, but
> | | \ | | \ I really think that the other version,
>---+ +--.------------+ +---.---------- using a set difference from the
>ground, is as easy and makes more sense. Only problem is that from looking
>at the models, I would pick a height of 15 cm or so, greatly reducing what
>it can see. We used 25 cm in 2nd edition, though I think it looks awful
>high.

The only reservation I would have about this (if I actually had skimmers)
would be that this might severly reduce the effectiveness of pop-ups
while leaving skimmers at the same prices. Assuming that the ability
to pop-up is incorperated into the cost of the unit (and I would assume
it is), this would leave skimmers over-priced and eldar players would
be unfairly handy-capped.

Since I haven't played vs eldar in e40k, I don't know if this would
actually be true. In SM/TL it didn't make a difference because the
long ranges of most pop-up units meant they could find targets in
almost any case. However, shrinking the pop-up height at the same
time as cutting the range by 40% seems a fairly steep reduction in
the realistic utility of pop-ups. My guess (unfortunately, unfounded
on any actual experience) is that falcons could effectively only
see over terrain that is right in front of them (i.e. the terrain
they are hiding behind). This would leave the falcon the defensive
benifits of popping-up, but it would lose the offensive benefits
(ignoring LOS), without any comiserate reduction in unit cost. That
doesn't seem fair.

David