Re: [Epic] Armies in the new edition

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 23:57:55 -0700

Miller, Chris wrote:

> Allright, what armies have people tried/used/succeeded with using the
> new rules? How drastic are the changes in the "feel" and/or the
> effectiveness ? What's the verdict on titans? Haven't played much yet
> myself as I'm having to sell the new version to my usual group, but the
> titans still look tough.

OK, let's look at Titans: Warlords in fact. It used to be that 12 Ork
Bonebreakers would, on average, strip the shields off a Warlord. Or
alternately, 2 Greats or Slashas via the Gutbuster, that often took out
the Titan as well...

Now you need 48. Yes, 48. OTOH 48 Gretchin would also do.
It used to be that 9 Landraiders would strip the shields. Now you need
12.

> My "Big 4" are Imperials, Orks, Chaos, and Eldar, and I'm especially
> interested in how Chaos is working under the new rules as I think they
> had the most drastic changes.
> Any "old" units seem much improved/much degraded?

All Ork Tanks are now about as effective as the old vanilla
Battlewagons, BUT can only carry 1 stand, not 3. OTOH they are slightly
cheaper than before. Use them in masses.

> I'm contemplating the great rebasing question and I see a LOT of work
> ahead, so any input is appreciated.

I wouldn't bother. In fact, I'm not bothering. Except for the Cavalry.
All the old square bases with Boarboyz, Bikes etc on are being recycled.
Ork Dreadnoughts are actually useful now. Most command stands will be on
the old bases, with some of my sundry Orcs on the new ones for variety.

aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile
| Alan & Carmel Brain| xxxxx Improve his shining tail?
| Canberra Australia | xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo oo oo oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture