Re: [Epic] Epic Terrain

From: sauron1 <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 01:59:11 -0700

Thomas Lee Denney wrote:

> At 08:47 PM 5/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Sauron1 writes;What type of terrain do you use foe Epic? We use terrain
> >boards,or green felt sheets over flat tables,with styrofoam hills.Then
> >coloured felt to indicate rivers,roads,wooded areas and farm fields. Trees
> >are usually N gage size trees or multi coloured lichen.Buildings are from N
> >gage kits,SM ones from the first four versions or some orriginals.Not many
> >orriginals though sorry to say.Playing area can be a 2x8 or up to a 6x12
> >depending on table availability at the club. I am building a 4x8 for home
> >use.The styrofoam hills are from Pink insolation,paintted with green latex
> >house paint.Fine play sand is mixed with white glue and brushed into the
> >hills before they dry. The result is a hard surface. Variations in colour
> >can be creatted by spraying the hills with browns and green acrilics.How
> >about your Terrain? sauron1
> >

> I have an 8X4 table, but only because that's all that will fit right now,
> I'd like to have a 8x6. I use a green sheet to throw over the it. I have
> a bunch of the geo-hex hills and add-ons, which look great on the table-top
> (I'm so glad I sold that AD&D stuff). I use the buildings from all
> previous games, except those silly ones from Adeptus Titanicus. I've also
> scratch built a bunch of ruins, a bridge wide enough for a mounted Warlord
> titan to walk across. I use a bunch of distributor caps from cars as power
> plants and industrial type buildings. I also have an 8" tall replica of
> the Arc da Triumph I painted and covered with moss. I'm also in the
> process of building a fortress wall section with battlements to stretch
> across the entire table with the arc as the gateway, and a huge graveyard
> (3x2) with hills, moslems(sp)and a huge thunderhawk service port kind of
> like the AT-AT station on Endor in Return of the Jedi. Only mine has one
> central platform with a bunch of smaller ones all around it. I also want
> to build a large mountain section with bunkers all over it that can be
> pulled away from the terrain so you can put guys inside. It'll have trees,
> craters, razor wire, and a waterfall (maybe with real water). What else
> can I cover as far as terrain goes? I love building terrain, I get the
> biggest kick out of taking a bunch of junk and putting it together with
> some glue, paint, and a little flock and making something with it. I wish
> I had a scanner, I'd take some photo's of the stuff and post them.
>
> Ravenwing Speeder Motto: Dark Angels don't die, we just go back to the
> rock and regroup!
>
> seether_at_...
> Ezekiel- Grand Master of Librarians

Sauron1 writes Sounds like me too!This both a tactical as well as a
visuall hobby.If you have a permanent site colourful terrain is great.
The main problem with Epic scale terrain is right at the point the hills
meet the flat of the table.You have to keep it thin to make it look
right,but srong so the edge there willnot break off. GW staff make their
hills much too steep. The efects of Geo-Hex are great but it is expensive
here in Canada.I use hardboard for my hill bases. It is really a thick
card board,but it keeps the edges of the hills fairly solid,GW uses the
same material I think.I do not have a scanner or the computer smarts ti
post a picture if I had One "yet" but it is a future purchase.
        sauron1