Re: [Epic] Epic Terrain

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:04:37 GMT

At 08:47 PM 5/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Sauron1 writes;What type of terrain do you use for Epic? We use terrain
>boards,or green felt sheets over flat tables,with styrofoam hills.Then
>coloured felt to indicate rivers,roads,wooded areas and farm fields. Trees
>are usually N gage size trees or multi coloured lichen.Buildings are from N
>gage kits,SM ones from the first four versions or some orriginals.Not many
>orriginals though sorry to say.Playing area can be a 2x8 or up to a 6x12
>depending on table availability at the club. I am building a 4x8 for home
>use.The styrofoam hills are from Pink insolation,paintted with green latex
>house paint.Fine play sand is mixed with white glue and brushed into the
>hills before they dry. The result is a hard surface. Variations in colour
>can be creatted by spraying the hills with browns and green acrilics.How
>about your Terrain? sauron1

We use a green sheet (looks good enough for something so cheap, easy and
transportable). Polystyrene hills are cut with a hot wire and then green
felt is stretched and glued to the hill (look great! and easy too...)
Forests are a bit of cardboard covered in green felt with 4cm pine trees
(made from a cheap wire and plastic christmas wreath) glued into holes
punched in the cardboard (and felt). The "trees" are spaced at least 6cm
apart so that troops up to and including titans can be moved through the
forest without too much difficulty. Buildings are straight from the boxed
sets although we just made a table full of buildings for our local gaming
convention by photocopying one of the titan legions buildings, joining two
copies end to end and sticking this to some cardboard. Lakes and rivers are
curently blue velvet, but we made an oasis for the dessert terrain of the
local con out of putty and clear resin with blue paint mixed in and it
worked so well that we will be replacing all water terrain with this technique.

Agro