Re: [Epic] Space Marine Chapters

From: Waiming Poo-Cheong <waiming.poo-cheong_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 11:19:58 +0100 (BST)

> > I know what happened to some of the Primarchs (mostly the ones
> > that turned to Chaos and Sanguinius), but not a whole lot about
> > the rest. Can anybody fill me in or recommend some good reading?
>
> See above, though I think what's happened to the Primarchs has mostly
> been in White Dwarf issues. From what I remember, Guilliman (sp?
> Ultramarines Primarch) is in statis on Macarage, homeworld of the
> Ultramarines, after suffering a fatal wound. There are those among the
> thousands of pilgrims that travel there every year who *swear* they see
> that wound closing....
>
> The Dark Angels Primarch, IIRC, is buried somewhere in the Rock. I
> don't have much info on this; check the Dark/Blood Angels WH40K codex.

Yep, he sleeps on, as does Guilleman (they've gotta be, think of the
endless exciting possibilities should one or either of them stir!!)

> Leman Russ was killed somewhere, I'm not sure what happened to the body.

I don't think Russ was killed, he simply wandered off somewhere, promising
his Chapter that he would return for the "final battle"...
(We could do a movie on Russ, and have Arnie do his "I'll be bek" line for
the last scene where Russ departs)

Speaking of movies, wasn't GW in the process of taking SpaceHulk to the
silver screen some years back? What happened?

> ...And that's all the Primarchs I can account for off the top of my
> head, barring the ones that turned to Chaos. (And not repeating my
> the end....)

Actually I happen to have bought a GW novel titled, simply, "Space
Marine", which had as its cover art the 1st Ed box cover of Dark Angels in
combat.
The story within, however, was of the Imperial Fists Chapter, and focused
on three recruits from Necromunda. According to the novel, Rogal Dorn
seems to have lived to a ripe old age before expiring, and his remains are
preserved on the chapter barge of the Fists.
An interesting Chapter custom is the scrimshandering of dead comrades'
finger bones, an inexplicable urge which Imperial Fists suffer from.
Dorn's hands were amputated from his body after his death, and every
Chapter Master since then has had the privilege of inscribing his personal
coat-of-arms on the bones, but with the condition that it be made as small
as possible, so that space be left for others...dunno what they would have
to resort to once space does run out.
Another Chapter flaw(?) is the enjoyment of pain by its Marines. Maybe in
40k they have 1 more wound to represent this or are simply into S&M.

btw the novel also hints at the Blood Drinkers Chapter having succumbed
one and all to a minor form of the Red Thirst, though not to a stage
where they are combat ineffective or liable to be declared heretic.
They are also believed to drink each other's blood as ceremonial gestures.

Unfortunately, I think this novel is out of print. And, come to think of
it, I am interested in finding the other 40K novels, "Inquisitor" and
"Deathwing"...

> Heh. That's a bit of a debate right there, y'know, whether the
> Illuminati are correct or... misguided. We'll probably never know,
> really, since one way would spell the doom of humanity while the other
> would push humanity well over the other powers & races. Tied in with
> that question is the Sensei, and the Star Child, and whether the old
> shamans were right... very old stuff, that

huh??

May your bolter never jam

Waiming