Re: [Epic] 2nd Ed units MIA

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:44:00 -0500

The list of significant ork units missing is fairly long. Not only
is the mekboy gargant gone, but so are Shokk attakk gunz (they're
now short ranged artillery, which is just the opposite of what they
used to be: long-range, direct-fire disrupters, which is what I wish
they were now). Also gone are are wildboyz, which used to be cheap
assault troops, now replaced by skar boyz which are overpriced assault
troops. Gone are the madboyz, which I think is a real pity, I loved
those guys. I also miss the speedstas; the only ones left are the
lifta-droppa and a deathray (which is kool), but the range went from
75 to 30 cm.

 -----> Never was big on wildboyz (used the minis mixed into my
snakebites) but the madboyz were great and I can't believe I missed
another biggie - MEKBOY DRAGSTA - ACK! Yes I know some people who took
several for every clan they fielded, - I called it cheese then and I
still would, but it was a very handy unit ...

On the up side though, they got rid of alot of useless redundancy in
the vehicles, and gretchin and tanks are actually usefull now. I also
think the battle fortresses are more usefull than they used to be.
I guess the Primarchs giveth and the Primarchs taketh away ;)

 ----> I liked the more specialized battle fortresses quite a bit. One
Skullhamma was always loaded with stormboyz so it could roar off at
triple speed and dump them out somewhere important to function
independently, while the Gibletgrinda and a bunch of battlewagons (with
the dragsta) and some bonebreakas hauled the Goffs thru ANYTHING to jump
out into HTH. Great stuff.

Given the number of ork units missing though, especially compared to
40k (where you can field wildboyz and madboyz), makes me wonder if
there isn't going to an e40k ork codex coming out (along with an
eldar codex, ect). Does anyone know if this might be so?

David

 ----> If they were going to add some units (no , don't go nuts with the
special rules again, I know I know, grind grind) and make them "small"
books like in the box, I'd give 'em a look, but if it's going to only
cover one race about 10 bucks is the max I would pay, and I'm sure it's
the least GW would charge.

Chris Miller