Re: [Epic] 2nd Ed units MIA

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 11:21:10 -0400 (EDT)

>> Shokk attak gunz should be something along the line of 60cm disrupt, they
>> may sound the same as pulsa rokkits, but the infantry status should be fun
>> and they should lose the artillery status.
>
>Concur. I'd make them disrupt, unlimited range, NO artillery status, and
>increase their cost a lot.

I would give the same range as a doomweaver (120 cm?), which also had
unlimited range in SM/TL. Other than that, I agree with the stats
(non-artillery, disrupt). This makes them a usefull unit, but different
enough in capability from pulsa rokkits to justify a new unit. I
think it also fits the feel of the old shokk attakk gunz better than
their current medium range field gun status.

>> I have rules which are
>> playtested, for rokkit dragstas. Wildboyz were always crap, but skarboyz
>> are cool. I miss Braincrushas, I have rules for them too, but I have yet
>> to try them. I also hate the fact that wagonz can only hold 1 stand, I
>> have to paint so many more now...
>
>Agree:
>Wildboyz == Skarboyz basically.

I don't know how others feel, but I think Skarboyz are overpriced. For
2pts you get the assault upgrade, but eldar pay 1 pt for the same thing
while marines pay 2 pts but get jetpacks tossed in for free (orks have
to pay an addition 1 pt for the jetpacks).

Altogether, ork infantry gets fairly well hosed in e40k. They cost 1
point less than aspect warriors, move slower and have half the assault
value. They shoot farther, but given their sorry FP, who cares?

What I would invision with wild boyz would be standard ork infantry with
no guns costing 5 pts (the same cost as beastmen, which have identical
stats). I would also impose a limit of 2 mobs per detachment since they
aren't supposed to be running about without normal orks around. You
could also upgrade them to boarboyz at the normal costs (maybe).

>Braincrushas - These should be armed
>with Megacannons. Probably SHVs with 3 hits and assault of 4. Cost about
>40.

I think this is too powerful compared to what they used to be (not for
the suggested cost). I would say something along the line of:
speed: 25 cm
range: 60 cm
FP: anti-tank
AV: 0
armor: 5+
cost: 15-20 (I don't know how to rate the AT shot)

This would be very usefull for the orks, since they otherwise have no
anti-tank weapons in their army list. It would make a nice, long-range
intermediate between battle wagons and deathray speedstas.

>Madboyz.... One way would, of course, be to roll the order dice for
>them. On a special result, they act normally. Assault factor a D3 of
>course.

This is basically how I would see them (except use the normal ork
stat line instead of the D3 AF, since the added randomness will wash
out in large units anyway). You might consider adding the "stubborn".
The reasoning behind this is that madboyz are already confused and
random, so lobbing a few shells into them is just as likely to get
them going as it is to cause them to mill about in confusion.

They should also be a seperate detachment type, rather than a mob
in a normal detachement, since madboyz run about on their own.

So in total I would say:

Madboyz detatchment:

Stats as for normal orks.
special rules:
1 Madboyz detachments have no HQs, they roll randomly for orders
        as above at the start of the turn.

Detachment organization:

Command: None, there's no point in telling a madboy what to do.
Main Force: Choose up to 10 mobz (standard ork detachment composion)

        1 mob of 1-4 units of madboyz (stubborn): 7 pts/unit
                may upgrade to jetpacks: +1 pt/unit

Support: None.

David