Re: [Epic] The return of Looney Rants!

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 17:18:16 -0400 (EDT)

>> 10-20 units? I've *never* taken out that many models with
>>a single chaos card.
>
>Oh, I have. Those 3 remaining Death Guard stands that destroyed a heavy
>company and the remains of a bike company almost to a man . . .

I've seen it all too often. I personally have lost 2/3s of a cult of
speed to Morty and most of a boyz mob (plus battlewagons!) to a
farting nurgle marine (telekenesed into the midst of my troops, the
last of the entire company!); all one the same turn. The worst I've
seen was when my chaos ally used burning body and Morty to wipe out
all 20 infantry of a great company, an entire thunder squad, and part
of a squat tac company in one turn (a squat finally rolled a 6).

>>> I don't consider this out-thinking an opponent, because what your
>>> opponent is thinking and doing has no real effect on your ability
>>> to use these powers.
>
>Lots of things can affect the player's ability to use cards. Mostly you
>have to stay away from them. This is especially true of Mort and the Death
>Guard. Take a shooty army.

This is easier said than done with the orks. Especially when you consider
that (1) you almost have to take a gargant, which is not nearly as shooty
as the same number of points in other cards (if you don't beleive me,
compare a slasher gargant with the Renegade meks) and (2) the shootiest
ork units are big, expensive, single units (like the renegade meks),
which are very vulnerable to the Lure of Slaneesh.

The best solution I have found is to field as many nobz as possible, but
not bolstering existing nobz mobs (to prevent them from getting too big).
This means taking warbosses and bike nobz (warlords are nice too)
I also take lots of vehicles as usual, but put them on advance orderd to
pick off infantry (gobsmashers and wartracks have a 50 cm range; 3 det
have the same firepower as a boyz mob with 3x the move, and cost less
to boot). Wierdboyz are nice, but not a real solution, since only
mortarion poses a serious threat. My WBBT is usually stuck under a
dragasta, hoping it draws fire (usually, the GDs just hide from it).
Its better to pick away at the greater demons in hope of drawing off
their cards (which are the serious threat). Basically I try to
prolong the game and wear the chaos army down until I can counter
attack it (and hope there are enough nobz around to do it). Otherwise,
I just hope that 6 comes up early...

Still, win or lose, I find fighting chaos very unsatisfactory, because
I always feel like I'm fighting a deck of cards rather than an army.
The same is true for the bugs, which are just chaos with a face lift ;)
(or would that be a face drop?). Even the eldar, which have the
hokiest units in the game (arguably) are more fun, because at least
their firepower is on the table. BTW, I think eldar armies actually
present an even tougher challange for the orks than either chaos or
bugs, because the eldar match up really well against the orks.

David4