Re: [Epic] Newbie

From: Andrew Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 12:47:16 -0400

Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>:
> OK, so I subscribed to this mailing list yesterday, and so far it has been
> mostly spam. Is there a list of subscribers I can get a copy of? I'd
> like to know if there are any players in my area I can get together for a
> game with. I subscribed hoping to receive current news and info about
> e40K, hopefully with eratta when they surface. I've received a couple of
> replys from GW in regards to specific rules questions, but this doesn't
> seem to be the right forum to post them.

There is lots of useful stuff on this list, but we don't take ourselves
too seriously, so a lot of chat, too.

We have Allan with Q&A, sending questions directly to the game designers
at GW. If your GW replies from Customer Support, go ahead and post them,
please. But we've learned to not take their word as definite. They've
been contradictory or silly or just plain wrong too many times. (Very
helpful, in my opinion, for many things. Just not very definitive for
some rules questions.) But please post 'em, anyway. We don't completely
discount them, but plenty of other things (White Dwarf (except battle
reports) and the Q&A from the Primarchs, for example) overrule them.

For the archives of the Q&A, try Allan's page:
http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/
He's got Q&A from the old and new Epic systems.

Best way to find out who lives in your area is to post and ask. I live
in Framingham, Massachusetts, having moved here about 2 and a half weeks
ago. You can get a list of subscribers from the server, but you only
get email addresses, I think.

Don't expect current news and info too often. GW doesn't use this as a
forum for announcements, but the Q&A service is very handy. Some people
post the relevant parts of the customer service letter that comes out from
Tim Huckleberry once a month. Some people post rumors and such. But mostly
there is discussion about specific armies, tactics, battle reports, anecdotes,
and pure malarkey. We let discussions get sidetracked occasionally--they
don't usually go too far.

Anyway, if you want to talk about something, start a conversation on it.
Things come around over and over again. I started discussions weeks ago
on terrain and using Epic figures for Space Hulk, and somebody else started
the same discussions again in the last month or so. New stuff comes out
the next time around, so that's not a problem.

I'm hoping to participate more in the E40K discussions soon, since I'm hoping
to get the game soon (today?). Then to teach my wife to play. (Someone said
they were jealous that I still get toys for my birthday, but I think people
have just about eaten their hearts out when I said that my wife will actually
play the game with me. She wants to do Eldar. Even wants to paint!) I've
held off playing Space Marine/Titan Legions with her, since I only want to
teach her one rule set, and E40K seems to be faster playing and more unified.
I think the Space Marine rules start off seeming very simple (why I chose
SM instead of playing Dirtside II), but got more complicated quickly. I'm
hoping E40K will present the whole mass at once, and not bog down afterwards.

Anyway, post about what you want to hear about.

andy
askinner_at_...