Re: [Epic] fate cards

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 97 16:34:29 EST

At 05:23 AM 5/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Elias Tiliakos wrote:

>> >One way of doing it is to say that for every 4 psykers you have, you can
>> >buy one card for 50 pts.
>> >

>> That kinda screws anyone but the Eldar, doesn't it?
>>
>> Only the Eldar have the option of getting four psykers for every one
>> psyker in other armies... seems like a major disadvantage for other
>> players.
>
>What about Chaos? Let's see, 10 Daemonettes, 5 Pink Horrors, that's 15
>Psykers, plus a Psyker per CSM unit, plus....
>
>Or Tyrannids - a few Zoanthropes, a hive Tyrant or six, plus a
>Dominatrix...
>
>No, anyone willing to spend the points can get quite a few Psykers.
>
>--
>aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile

Ok, I stand corrected. I hadn't read the Chaos list too closely,
and had forgotten about Zoanthropes. I was thinking mostly in
terms of Imperials and Orks, since that's mostly what I have.
They both have seriously limited psyker abilities, the marines
and Orks getting at most one psyker per detachment, the Imperial
Guard getting at most three psykers per infantry detachment. The
Imperial Guard are not as hurt by the 4 psykers to 1 fate card
suggestion as marine and orks are, but still...

I prefer the suggestion of one fate card per 500 points of troops.
That seems much more fair to me. I can see the reasoning behind
the psyker suggestion, but that doesn't take into account the
power of the psykers in question. For example, in 40K terms,
I believe that it would take almost 20 daemonettes to compare
psychically to a space marine chief librarian (correct me if I'm
wrong). So this would translate to four units of daemonettes
equating to one librarian stand in E40K, at least in terms of
"fate card buying power".

What I'm trying to say is that I think too much complexity would
need to be introduced into the game to acurately model the strength
of the psykers in terms of "fate card buying power", and that a
simpler system be used, such as that of one fate card per 500
points.

Elias