Re: [Epic] got my Epic 40K

From: Andreas Richert <aic_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 01:53:24 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Mike Bowen wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 1997 duckrvr_at_... wrote:
>

> > >* Do you end up measuring range in the shooting phase twice, once to determine
> > > who can shoot, the other to determine who can be shot? Sounds like both
> > > are based on the nearest unit.
> > >
> > > A A A A
> > > Detachment B is shooting at detachment A.
> > > A1 If A1 is in range of all Bs, all Bs can shoot.
> > > If all As are in range of B1, all As can be shot.
> > > B1
> > > Is this correct?
> > > B B B
> >
> > I would add all the fp of any unit that can see/shoot any other unit.
> > However, I wouldn't assign more casualties than can be targetted. Frex, if
> > all A can hit B1 but not B, you would add all their fp (let's say 5 total)
> > and roll to hit. Troops in the open would give you 3 dice, so let's say you
> > get 2 hits. B1 would be the only valid target, so you'd just lose the extra
> > kill.
> >
> > I don't think anyone could really argue with this being reasonable, although
> > you never know . . .
> >
> > Temp
> >

> so say A1 is a SHV that moved to that spot in the Assault Phase, and
> firefights B1. B1 is blown to hell. Detachment B has lost, so it breaks,
> and must retreat. OK
>
> Now say that A1 and B1 are 17cm away from friendly forces, so they don't
> add into the firefight. A1, a superheavy, fights against B1, which say, is
> a bike squadron. B1 loses bigtime, say by 4 kills. Unit B1 is destroyed.
> we can say the other 3 kills are wasted, along with extra BM
>
> BUT
>
> since Detachment B lost the firefight even though only one unit was
> fighting, it still must retreat.
>
> I really don't like the idea that the loss of one 10 pt. bike can cause
> a whole 600 pt. Detachment to rout.
>
> This can't be right, or is it? tell me I read the rules wrong. Please.

And it get's even worse if you have rampage units in there....
I once lost about 8 units (rampager) due to a CC, in which two was
involved and only two more suported....
It felt really strange to remove the oner thet was some 30 cm from the CC
and had no enemys in sight....

A.I.C. rules for CHAOS
Andreas Richert
E-mail: aic_at_...