Re: [Epic] got my Epic 40K

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 16:09:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 May 1997 duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> >* Do you end up measuring range in the shooting phase twice, once to determine
> > who can shoot, the other to determine who can be shot? Sounds like both
> > are based on the nearest unit.
> >
> > A A A A
> > Detachment B is shooting at detachment A.
> > A1 If A1 is in range of all Bs, all Bs can shoot.
> > If all As are in range of B1, all As can be shot.
> > B1
> > Is this correct?
> > B B B
>
> I would add all the fp of any unit that can see/shoot any other unit.
> However, I wouldn't assign more casualties than can be targetted. Frex, if
> all A can hit B1 but not B, you would add all their fp (let's say 5 total)
> and roll to hit. Troops in the open would give you 3 dice, so let's say you
> get 2 hits. B1 would be the only valid target, so you'd just lose the extra
> kill.
>
> I don't think anyone could really argue with this being reasonable, although
> you never know . . .
>
> Temp

so say A1 is a SHV that moved to that spot in the Assault Phase, and
firefights B1. B1 is blown to hell. Detachment B has lost, so it breaks,
and must retreat. OK

Now say that A1 and B1 are 17cm away from friendly forces, so they don't
add into the firefight. A1, a superheavy, fights against B1, which say, is
a bike squadron. B1 loses bigtime, say by 4 kills. Unit B1 is destroyed.
we can say the other 3 kills are wasted, along with extra BM

BUT

since Detachment B lost the firefight even though only one unit was
fighting, it still must retreat.

I really don't like the idea that the loss of one 10 pt. bike can cause
a whole 600 pt. Detachment to rout.

This can't be right, or is it? tell me I read the rules wrong. Please.

mike