Re: [Epic] got my Epic 40K

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 21:25:46 -0500

At 04:09 PM 5/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

>so say A1 is a SHV that moved to that spot in the Assault Phase, and
>firefights B1. B1 is blown to hell. Detachment B has lost, so it breaks,
>and must retreat. OK
>
>Now say that A1 and B1 are 17cm away from friendly forces, so they don't
>add into the firefight. A1, a superheavy, fights against B1, which say, is
>a bike squadron. B1 loses bigtime, say by 4 kills. Unit B1 is destroyed.
>we can say the other 3 kills are wasted, along with extra BM

1) A firefight only ever inflicts one casualty, regardless of the die roll
difference.

>since Detachment B lost the firefight even though only one unit was
>fighting, it still must retreat.
>
>I really don't like the idea that the loss of one 10 pt. bike can cause
>a whole 600 pt. Detachment to rout.

Yes, this is right. However, if only one model is involved, only one BM can
be placed. In this case, the remaining unit wouldn't even have to make a
retreat move, since they are all out of range already. They would lose the
assault move, if they haven't moved already, but with only one blast marker,
any unit in the game automatically makes a morale check (assuming you don't
remove it in the end phase anyway). As far as losing the assault phase
movement, consider it a pre-emptive stirke that causes a brief surprise that
causes enough confusion that they have to reformulate/issue new orders to
compensate, etc. Trust me when I tell you that even during an assault, if
you don't contact the enemy pretty close to where you expect to, it will
totally ruin your day.

In short, losing one bike does not "rout" the whole detachment.

Temp