[Epic] got my Epic 40K

From: Andrew Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 13:01:36 -0400

OK, yes, I did get Epic 40K for my birthday. My wife was playing tricks on
me, and when I opened up the box I thought it would be in (except it seemed too
light), all there was were GW catalogs (for games I don't even play--hope she
didn't pay for them!). Then she sent me to look under the bed, and there
was my other present. I love birthdays, and that I don't get lawn mowers and
stuff.

Here are some thoughts:
* Although they are changing the size of some vehicles to be the "correct"
  scale, they sure don't seemed to be concerned with infantry scale. The
  characters are much bigger than the grunts. The stormboys' heads (err,
  sorry, da stormboyz' hedz) are 4 times as big as most of da boyz.

* I was hoping that the assault movement rules had been misread by huge
  numbers of people, and that you only move a total of twice your normal
  move (one normal move in movement phase, one in assault). But I saw
  the sentence about infantry moving a double move into contact. Oh, well.

* I'm not crazy about the implementation of the snap-fire rule. If it is
  one stand of not-very-shooty troops, doesn't it seem like it would affect
  you differently than if you came to the same distance of a huge detachment
  of Devastators?

* Do you end up measuring range in the shooting phase twice, once to determine
  who can shoot, the other to determine who can be shot? Sounds like both
  are based on the nearest unit.

  A A A A
                      Detachment B is shooting at detachment A.
        A1 If A1 is in range of all Bs, all Bs can shoot.
                      If all As are in range of B1, all As can be shot.
        B1
                      Is this correct?
   B B B

andy