Re: [Epic] Range for Shooting was got my Epic 40K

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 13:34:35 +0100

> * Do you end up measuring range in the shooting phase twice, once to determine
> who can shoot, the other to determine who can be shot? Sounds like both
> are based on the nearest unit.
>
> A A A A
> Detachment B is shooting at detachment A.
> A1 If A1 is in range of all Bs, all Bs can shoot.
> If all As are in range of B1, all As can be shot.
> B1
> Is this correct?
> B B B

Not quite right. You just measure rannge from each of the shooting
units to the nearest unit in the target detachment that they have a line
of fire. These units in range are the ones that you can shoot with
~(page 17).

Wrk out blast markers and hit dice etc, then roll and discard the
misses.

Then allocate the hits, starting with the closest unit until all the
units that can be hit have been, then allocate multiple hits. As per
page 20, para 7 ii) hits may only be allocated against units which are
in range and LOS of at least one attacking unit. So you may need to
chek range again, yes.

If in your example all of B were in range of A1, but only B1 ould hit
the rest of A, and you rolled say 4 hits, the first would be applied to
A1 - the closest. Then you apply the other 3 hits to the rest of A, as
at least B1 had LOS and was within range. (And B1 must have been in
possession of super-duper guns and loads of ammo - but this is one of
the prices we pay for having a set of rules that are clean and simple
but have a high level of abstraction.) If it was 8 hits, then again the
first one is on A1, the rest can be allocated to the rest of the As, as
at least one unit has LOS and range.

If B1 was not within range of the rest of A, only A1, then all 4 hits
would be applied to A1 - ouch.

Richard