Re: [Epic] Your Neighborhood

From: Earl Corbin <earl_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 13:33:04 -0500

> RANT WARNING
>
> My friend that owns the hobby shops used to require all figs to be
painted
> (or well on the way) in order to play in the store. Unfortunately, it
was a
> small town that he started in and it ticked some people off who
subsequently
> took their business elsewhere. He relaxed the rules, hoping that by
letting
> them play, it would encourage everyone to get good paint jobs started.
> Primer looks really bad when the other guys figs have a sweet paint job.
He
> now has two stores in larger cities, including one in the busiest mall in
> Nashville, and still allows people to play on store tables with unpainted
> figs. Personally, I think that at least in the mall store he should
require
> a large majority of minis to be painted. It looks so much more
appealing,
> and I'm sure it would help his walk-in business.
>
> I can't stand to play against someone who has a bunch of gray lumps out
on
> the board, and I feel really horrible when I field even a couple models
> without good paint jobs. As a result, I do have some semi-crappy paint
jobs
> because "I just have to get the unit finished for the game tomorrow."
> However, they still look good on the table top (like any epic model
doesnt'
> look pretty good at arm's length).
>
> Temp

The way our store handles it, you can play "friendly" games without paint,
but the store-run campaigns require painted models. At worst, you'll get a
friendly ribbing if you field unpainted figs.

Personally, I would _like_ to have all my models painted, but every time I
get the chance, I have to choose between playing and painting. I usually
choose to play.

That's just my take on it.

Earl