Re: [Epic] First Epic 40k battle

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 11:31:33 +0100

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> Salutations,
>
> I will live my first Epic 40k battle on Saturday (17 of May) : it
>
> will be a 500 points fight against an Eldar force.
> My problem is that I havn't got any experience and I don't know if my
>
> army is good enough. Could you tell what you think about it?
>
> Detachement Storm Wolf
> 1 Captain + Rhino
> 2 Devastators Squads (4 units)
> 2 Tactics Squads (4 units)
> 2 Terminators Squads (2 units)

This is a very immobile, but large detachment, about half of your total
points. From the look of it, the plan is to sit this in cover or
somewhere "safe" and blast away at the enemy with overwatch orders. The
peril is that the Eldar are very mobile - if they engage just a few
units on the edge of your line with a numerical superiority, they could
break the whole detachment. Rhinos can be parked in front of the
detachment as "ablative armour", and they would also give you a bit more
mobility.

> Detachement Steel Claw
> 4 Land Raiders

Land Raiders are a bit vulnerable to Eldar. First eldar have lots of
anti tank shots themselves (and few tanks where you're AT ability is
really required to kill them). Second the Land Raiders are a little
vulnerable to being engaged in close combat by aspect warriors. This
detachment will also be suppressed with BMs quite rapidly. You would be
better off with a few predators if available, otherwise bulk out the
detachment with a couple of devastator stands. No orders or overwatch.

> Detachement Blood Fang
> 1 Librarian (Jet Pack)
> 2 Assault Squads (4 units)
> 1 Motos Squadron (3 units)
> 1 Vindicator (1 unit)

Seems like a good detach. I think I'd take the rhinos along, though, to
help this one get into the thick of the action. Remember to keep the
vindicator up close enough to help, but not close enough to allow the
enemy to engage it in close combat. The bikes should try to run through
or around the enemy detachment, adding the +1 for supporting a combat
but not actually joining in themselves. If you can get them more than
5cms past the enemy back line, when you break him he won't be able to
retreat far enough. Use mainly assault orders.

Richard