RE: playing unpainted was [Epic] Your Neighborhood

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 10:50:09 -0500

----------
From: Robert Lenghaus [SMTP:lenghaus_at_...]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 1997 6:56 PM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: RE:playing unpainted was [Epic] Your Neighborhood

START RANT

People who whinge on about people playing with unpainted minitures
REALY
annoy me. When EPIC 40k first came out I went to the local GW store
with
my Titan collection (because they didn't have any) to try out the new
titan rules, now most of my titans are painted to a reasonable standard
but I had only just started on my Mega Gargants which had only a two
colour scheme. When I was playing against one of the staff, another
staff
a_at_#hole says "hurry up that game ,those minitures aren't painted well
enough" I would have to say that I almost walked out right then. I
will
never spend any money at that store. I think anybody just starting the
hobby would have given up and traded their copy of EPIC.

So all you idiots out there, painting, while a nice aspect of EPIC will
never replace the actual game. I will play anyone, and I don't care if
they have minitures of golden demon standard or straight out of the
box.
New EPIC players are always welcome!

END RANT

Rob L.

----> Counterpoints:
        #1, store people shouldn't be evaluating the quality of a paint job if
they want to have anyone play in their store. Just have it painted as
opposed to primered/bare metal. That said, it is their store and they
can make the rules, but it's a stupid thing to do...
        #2 , are you playing this game because of it's excellent, well written
rules ? Maybe because it's so economical ? No, I imagine you are
playing it because of the visual aspect - most mini players are - and
if you do like the look how can you possibly say painting doesn't
matter? You could just play a boardgame or use counters and save
yourself a ton of cash.
 I don't enter painting contests & I don't paint other people's mini's
(though I have been asked) and when playing at a friend's house I
don't care if the stuff is painted. When playing at a store or a con,
however, if you are trying to bring in new players and show the game to
other people, you will find a painted army is just about required. I
like to check out other mini games when I see someone playing them, but
if the mini's aren't even painted, how "into it" can the other people
be? A whole new game might be cut some slack for a while, but if you're
going to playing "out & about" try painting your stuff - it matters.Not
the quality, (most mini's in the books etc are almost unplayable, or at
least untransportable) , just putting some effort into it.

Chris Miller
"Watch for New Rants Soon"