Re: [Epic] Rampage (was: got my Epic 40K)

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:09:33 -0400 (EDT)

>>> To me, this seems to be really clear that any rampagers in a broken
>>> detachment are simply destroyed, regardless of where they were in relation
>>> to the combat. This seem to make the Assault Spawn a real risk to have
>>> around.

> It actually says the same in the rule book with the phrasing "Rampage
>units are so berserk that they may not retreat from combat. This means
>Rampage units are always caught by the enemy and destroyed if they lose
>a close combat." p37 of the rule book.

> I still think that this makes Rampaging units more of a liability than
>an asset. The Bugs may usually win in CC but the following fire fight will
>clear out all of those nasty Carnifex's and Assault Spawn with ease.

I see Gregs point on this. All I can say is that when I read the rules,
I got a totally different interpretation. Basically, I read that "a
rampage _unit_ is automatically destroyed if _that unit_ lost a CC".
This made natural sense to me, since the unit would not retreat and
would therefore necessarily be within 15 cm of the enemy (and thus be
destroyed).

I see how the rule can be intrepeted such that "any rampaging unit is
destroyed if its _detachment_ loses close combat", though I don't agree
with that interpretation. Basically, I took the last sentence
("Rampage units are always caught...") as an example of the logical out-
come of the previous rule, not as a seperate rule in its own right.

I'm still convinced rampagers are only eliminated if they end up within
15 cm of an enemy after their detachment loses CC, rather than
automatically. But I think it's a good one for the primarchs (Allan?)

David