[Epic] Epic playing groups and off-topic subjects...[LONG]

From: Earl Corbin <earl_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 01:35:56 -0500

I've noticed something about Epic players, both amongst my friends, the
playing group at the game store, and here on the list. It seems we get
together to play or discuss Epic, and then proceed to talk about everything
that comes to mind. In the six months or so that I've been on the list,
list members have gone on about women, beer, real-world military
organizations, Science fiction literature, marriage, education, Australian
wild life, Big Mac prices, our preferences of different ethnic foods, the
authenticity of popular restaurants serving such ethnic foods, the injury
potential of volleyball and other popular sports, the quality of McDonald's
beef, and the Society for Creative Anachronism. Those are just the ones I
can remember by flipping through the subject lines of old messages. That's
not including the sub-topics of the above, and other popular threads like
"WH40K sucks" and "GW prices suck" that can be _easily_ traced back to an
on-topic post. And with a few exceptions, no one really complains. Not
that I'm complaining. I'm just as bad in a voice conversation: I can
rarely finish a sentence without starting to talk about something else. I
just realized it seems as common for Epic players to follow a
conversational as it is for the Tick to be distracted by that bright and
shiny object in the distance. And this may be Internet heresy, but I
_like_ that about this list. A bunch of guys who think alike. Or at least
in similar thought patterns. Bandwidth be damned.

Anyway, to at least put a little on-topic content in my long-winded post --
though one could argue that the qualities of Epic players is on-topic --
anyone willing to bet that greater daemons, carnifexes (carnifi?), and the
avatar will get the same treatment as the new hive tyrants? i.e., they
will be smaller and more to scale with dreadnoughts?

Thanks for bearing with me. I hope this entertains the list members. I'm
not a real frequent poster -- barely enough time to read my mail, let alone
_write_ e-mail.

Earl