Re: [Epic] Postage to Australia

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 19:00:34 -0700

Leggatt wrote:

> This is a question to those living in the aforemention country (see subject).

> I was just wondering what the best way to get these sent to Sydney was, because
> I have heard a few unflattering remarks about the U.S. postal service and I was
> just wishing to perhaps gain some insight to the collected wisdom of this mailing list. Well the part of the list that lives in Australia and has bought stuff
> off people in America anyway...

OK, here is my take on it:
a) I've had exactly 2 shipments out 15 or so from the USA gone missing.
Both were traced as far as the local post office before going bush, ie
AUSTRALIA POST was the culprit.
b) Shipments TO the USA are another matter, I still have something like
$250 US worth of goods going USA-wards that were posted in February, Air
Economy, and still are AWOL. One $130 shipment landed only 2 days ago, 3
Farnarckling Months after sending!
c) Getting back to USA->Oz... Best time (Air) was my Epic shipment,
which took 6 days from the time I e-mailed the order to
Discountgames.com . Worst time was an Imperium Games shipment, which
took 4 weeks (according to the postmark on the parcel). Best time for
surface mail is 19 days, worst time 3 months.

The US mail service gets a lot of bad PR. It is, though, in my
experience the cheapest and best postal service in the world. Compare
Germany, where a parcel costs 35 AusD, Australia 9 AusD, USA 2.50 AusD
for same weight and distance. I've had one bag of mail come with
waterstains on it, and an apology from the US mail and a form for
compensation. Can you imagine Australia Post doing that?

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture