Re: [Epic] Paint removal in Oz

From: David Lado <lado_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:26:41 -0400 (EDT)

>>Excellent, thanx for the advice. Any ideas as to where I would get Lab
>>Reagent? (without stealing some preferably!)
>
>Well, stealing it yourself is the cheapest way, but illegal as we all know
>and not easy to do(this is what I do, but don't tell my Boss). The next
>best way is to get someone you know who works with it to steal it for you.
>This usually results in being charged a carton of beer or a favour. Still
>illegal and not easy.

You can also check your local do-it-yourself stores (in the US, Lowes and
Home Depot are common chains). You want the kind of store that sells
things like lumber, pipes for plumbing, table saws, powertools, etc. Most
importantly, you want a place that sells paint. Most such stores will
stock a variety of commercial paint removers for acrylic and oil-based
paints. I bought a 1/2 gallon of acetone at Lowes for $5 or about.
They may also sell 100% isopropanol or some other solvent which can be
used on plastic (removing paint from plastic is not actually that
uncommon a request apparently).

Beware, though, they have some pretty toxic stuff stocked (at least in
the US), so get a sturdy pair of rubber gloves and read the safety
instruction carefully and seriously. I used to work in a bio lab and
was a little surprised by the ready availablity of some pretty potent
carcinogens, such as benzene, which I only ever used while in a fume
hood. The laws in Oz may restrict some chemicals differently from the
US, so YMMV.

David