Re: [Epic] Re:Trolls n Minotaurs

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:18:15 -0400

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 11:21 AM 5/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >> the Plague towers, the Slaanesh titans . . .
> >
> > I haven't used the tower yet, but it looks like it pretty
> >much sucks now. Armor of 5+, no shields, and a move of 10cm. Might
> >as well have your guys walk.
>
> I've never thought it was good for a transport, anyway.

        Back in the old days I thought it was a good buy to move
beasts, bearers, & Mort around in - the Tower had a move of 15cm
so you got an extra 10cm a turn. Also the boarding bonus was
neat, although you didn't get to use it that often.

        Now, daemons are faster (15cm) and the Tower is slower
(10cm), so it would be stupid to stick them in there. Currently
I'm thinking it MIGHT be good for cultists.

> But IIRC, the
> weaponry is pretty good.

        Hmmm, I'll have to check on that. But it's still an
unshielded war engine with poor armor. Sounds like an easy
target to me.

> >> The armor restriction does suck, however. On the plus side, they can take
> >> fliers as CSM units,
> >
> > Um, how?
>
> They are listed in the CSM armor unit list. Look in the unit summary.

        Maybe I misunderstood you - I thought you were saying
that you could somehow include flyers in a CSM detachment.
Chaos flyers only come in Chaos Flyer detachments, which are
restricted.

> > And doing so requires a not insubstantial overhead cost
> >since you have to buy your CSM main force before you can take the
> >support stuff.
>
> How much support do you usually take?

        Not as much as I'd like. =)

> If you take one infantry detachment,
> a bike company, and a heavy company, you can take a titan, an air cover
> detachment, and a LR company. Plus the Supreme Commander can take an armor
> unit, so that's a fourth armor unit. That's a pretty well rounded force
> that's gonna be about 2-3000 points.

        Chaos arty det, ground attack flyers, intercept flyers,
1 war engine det, 1 maybe 2 pure armor dets is what I was looking
for in a 2000 pt force. Only having 1 flyer detachment doesn't
seem that good to me unless your opponent doesn't have any at
all. But anyway, squeezing all that in with 5 infantry dets is
pretty tough.

> > I'm not trying to bitch a lot here, I was merely pointing
> >out in my previous post that chaos may be good at close combat, but
> >it also has it's share of weaknesses.
>
> I don't think chaos has a real down side, except that if you take non-CSM
> units (like daemons) your initiative drops to 3.

        Well, there is the armor restriction. And you pay
extra for your space marines (granted, it's only 1 pt, or 2
for termies). A real minus is no jump-pack assault guys
(aside from daemons, who can't get armor or bike support).
And taking IG stuff requires cultists or beastmen, which
kinda sucks.

Scott
shupes_at_...