Re: [Epic] Postage to Australia

From: Patrik Carlsson <f94pc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 16:19:35 +0200

> > After all that, you still consider the best ? I do not really know about
> > elsewhere. In Singapore, local mail put into the mail box before, say 3 or 5
> > pm are guaranteed to be delivered by next day !
>
> That's local, Oki. International is a bit different. But I agree, your
> local postal service is very good. OTOH a piece of mail posted in
> Darwin, for example, will reach Sydney in about 3 days or less. And
> that's further than to Singapore.

But companies have found out that if you for example post a letter in
Hong Kong it will be cheaper than to post it in the city it will arrive
in, and then it also arrives by air before it would have done using
normal post.
Alan Brain wrote:

> oki_at_... wrote:
>
> > After all that, you still consider the best ? I do not really know about
> > elsewhere. In Singapore, local mail put into the mail box before, say 3 or 5
> > pm are guaranteed to be delivered by next day !
>
> That's local, Oki. International is a bit different. But I agree, your
> local postal service is very good. OTOH a piece of mail posted in
> Darwin, for example, will reach Sydney in about 3 days or less. And
> that's further than to Singapore.
>
> --
> aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile
> | Alan & Carmel Brain| xxxxx Improve his shining tail?
> | Canberra Australia | xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
> 100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo oo oo oo
> By pulling MAERKLIN Wagons, in 1/220 Scale
> See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture

I have no idea about the rates today and this is probably just for big
companies.
Anyway in Sweden the post office wanted to fire all sorters and let
their new computerized machines do all the job. This was not a good idea
since the machines frequently eats paychecks and packages if they aren't
sized right. Now a lot of other small post companies have arised out
of nothing, some of which just takes their mail to a neighbouring
country
and posts it in their post offices, to a cheaper rate.

To bring some epic into it, internet game shops established in some odd
country
might have a chance.
--
	Patrik Carlsson