Re: [Epic] more thoughts on Epic40K

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 07:49:37 -0500

Elias Tiliakos wrote:

> Instead of multiplying, dividing, or using math at all, why don't
> you just separate the attack into two "phases", one for the barrages,
> and one for normal firepower? The barrage's fp and dice could only
> be allocated to units actually _under_ the templates, and the non
> barrage weapons would act as normal, i.e. hit the foremost unit, etc.
>
> Sound good?
>
> Elias

The barrage problem is completely separate from the bulk of my
discussion, and to me is adequately answered by allowing some
hits to be applied under the barrage template, even when not
the nearest units. Sorry I didn't make the change of subject
clear; looking at your quote of my message I see I just went
from one paragraph to the next.

For the rest, I was looking at how to make cover apply more
specifically to the units in cover, and just analyzing the
effect of the FP table and alternatives, for the fun of it.
Applying one die per FP would take longer and be a lot of dice,
but it would feel more like the old system of individual shots
hitting individual targets. And I'm not adding multiplying and
dividing, just looking at what are the factors applied already
in the FP table, and what other ways are there to apply the same
multiplication. Looking up a pre-multiplied number on a table
is one method, rolling a die and using the result is another,
using the probability as a scaling factor. I certainly didn't
suggest adding any in-game multiplication, just different ways
of doing what was already there.

andy
askinner_at_...