Re: [Epic] First Epic 40k battle

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 14:18:49 -0700

duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> A geneta-who? Obviously you didn't name it. What was it some sort of
> bizarre, "brains evolved in this pattern, so our electronic systems should,
> too" sort of thing? Of course, if it's classified, just tell me to buzz off.

No, the basic principle is simple:

Any Rules-based Artificial Intelligence system can be modelled as a
sequence of genes, one gene per rule. Thus a simple anti-missile system
might have the rules "Shoot at close targets first" and "Shoot with
missiles rather than guns if you can".

You then make an system-generator, which produces a whole heap of
systems with different rules.

Each of the systems is then put into a simulator, where it must survive
against a variety of threats - say 2 Exocet missiles incoming on one
bearing, then 3 Styx-Cs coming in on separate bearings etc.

Those systems that survive get to breed. But sexually, which means that
the offspring contain 50% of the rules of one parent, and the other 50%
from the other parent. This causes a MASSIVE speed-up of evolution, so
after less than 1000 generations you get a fairly stable population.
Without sexuality, just using random mutation alone, it would take
millions of generations to get the same effect.

There are other details, but I can't really go into those.
--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture