Re: [Epic] First Epic 40k battle

From: E. Sund <esund_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 23:07:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Francois Bruntz wrote:

> >> On the other side of the world? Oh, I didn't notice that you were
> >> Australian. How lucky you are!
> >
> >When various European terrorist groups aren't blowing up ships in our
> >part of the world, yes. :)
>
> Oups! You're going to be very "desagreable"!
>
> >> Here, at Paris, it's rainning, I hope
> >> that you've got sunny weather in Australia!
> >
> >Yes, no radioactive fallout now for many months. :) again! Actuellement,
> >it's Winter here, so the temperature is in the range 5-15 in Canberra.
> >We're in the mountains, not far from the Snowfields (which are about the
> >size of Alsace, Lorraine, Normandie, Bearn and Languedoc put together).
> >Also, there's a drought at the moment. We've had less than 16mm of rain
> >in the last 60 days. So it's cold and dry. Usually its colder and foggy
> >at this time of year.
>
> I understand that you were not very happy with our nuclear tests...
> There only one thing that I must say : when the United States did HUNDREDS of
> tests, noone
> said that it was a "scandale"! It's not fair! Great Britain and Japan made some
> tests too... Jacques
> Chirac's choice was very hard : on one side nuclear tests were not a very good
> idea in terms of ecology but on the
> other side it was our defence that was in the balance...
> But once again I understand very well that Australia did not like these tests.
> I'm sorry for the troubles...

Err...could someone explain to me how these ridiculous tests are supposed
to be so critical for your "defense"? If you've got the bomb, why do you
need to keep testing? After the few 20 or so megatons aren't you pretty
much squared away for MAD (at least European-theater mini-MAD)? And don't
you think the continents a bit too small to be flinging tactical nukes
about? God help us (and I am not religious), it's more froggie trouble.

E. Sund