RE: [Epic] Q&A 2 (and notes)

From: W. Gregory Klett <cyclops_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 06:28:48 -0500

>>>P: It counts as 1 Super Heavy Weapon
>>>

>Uh... if you check the list of SHW in the summary chart it lists the
>pulsar. It does not mention any of the other wpns that you did above. The
>pulsar counts as a single SHW. The others are just several SHW grouped
>together. I hate to admit it but it seemed pretty consistent to me.

 For the Ordinatus vehicles the SHW's come from the listing p25 Armies;

   Plasma Annihilator (3xDeath Ray)
   Sonic Cannon (6xDisrupt)

 For the Eldar p67, p68 Armies;

   Pulsar (1d6/1d3 x Anti-Tank)

 For the Tyranids p102 Armies;

   Energy Pulse (3xAnti-Tank)

 As Death, Disrupt and Anti-Tank are all SHW effects I feel that these
should all be SHW's.

 The confusion comes the way they are listed. If under the weapons listing
it were to say '3x Death Ray' all would be clear in that it was three
distinct SHW's. However, they instead list it by the color name of
'Plasma Annihilator' which has an effect of '3x Death Rays', which leads
one to believe that it is a single weapon with three shots.

 Yes, this is semantics, but it matters when you try to keep the rules
clear. Especially at tournaments, and with new/different players.

>One interesting ramification of this ruiling is that you can stop eldar
>titals from firing with 2 blast markers. It has already been stated that
>only weapons that are in range count for BM's ect. (this makes sense.) The
>problem is that most SHW's have a much greater range. This means a Eldar
>titan with 2 BM's cannot fire unless there is a target within 45
>cm(Secondary weapon range.) It's even worse if you consider a Shadow
>sword, which has a 60m Dethray and 30 cm piddly guns. Actually, Engines of
>Vaul have the same problem. If anyone can think a way around this speak
>up. I though of saying the secondary weapons could soak up the BM. Also
>this would be a good reason to put normal infantry with your super heavy
>weapons. However this appears to make land raiders to powerful. Then there
>would be no way to stop them from firing. Howabout war-machines consider
>the total firepower of the model when removeing FP for blastmarkers. What
>does everyone think of this? I'e it fires everything, weatehr or not the
>target is in range.

 All of the races, except Orks, have the abilty to Barrage or Disrupt at
a range equal to or greater than the Pulsar or Energy Pulse. A unit of 6
with Disrupt can shut a Phantom down cold with prep bombardment, or if they
fire before the Phantom in the fire phase. And 6 Biovores run a minimum of
171pts, versus the Phantoms 380, and deliver 4 BM a turn!

  Greg Klett

| W. Gregory Klett | Those that can, do! |
| cyclops_at_... | Those that could and won't, dream. |
| | Those that can't, pretend and brag about it! |