Re: [Epic] Cricket

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:07:52 +0100

> E-mail cricket? This I gotta see. I mean, sure, cricket is
> far better than baseball (not hard. I played on the school cricket
> team in high school, so I know about both sports. I doubt that you
> can be overweight, 40 years old, and still be a pro cricket
> player...If you can, I'll have to reconsider my previous statement due
> to a a sudden lack of respect for the sport.

Well, Merv Hughes looks a bit tubby, and Botham was in his late 30s and
distinctly portly when he hung up his whites. Oh, and let's not forget
WG Grace - still playing first class cricket into his 60s or 70s (but
that was when cricket was for gentlemen, no aussies allowed).

But certainly no-one (not even in the minor counties) to rival the age
and girth of some of the american Major League baseball fatties.

Generally batsmen need to be able to move too quickly and to see too
well to play first-class cricket much past 35. A spin bowler can last a
few years longer, before the back gives out. Fast bowlers are trashed
that much sooner.

Richard