Re: [Epic] Q&A 2 (and notes)

From: Thomas Bloom <tbloom_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 23:29:50 -0500

>Well, it depends on what you use the flak cover for, I guess. I think of
>flak units protecting artillery pieces more than anything else. Sure,
>your infantry detachments are going to get shot up a bit, but them's
>the breaks, I guess. The Eldar actually have it pretty good, as their
>flak units can actually keep up with everything else in their army,
>_and_ shoot farther,

Actually since you need to be on special orders, thus no move, you can't
keep up with your army. Unless you buy 2 detachments and "leapfrog" them.
Buy this time your almost better off going with some inetrcepters, or
bombers of your own on intercept orders.

>with a great shot on any flier it wishes to take.
>Marines can't even take flak units unless they want to take IG allies.
>Orks also have fairly cheap flak units, and if you keep a couple of
>them dispersed along the edges of the detachment, say on the corners,
>you should have enough coverage to deter incoming flier attacks. It
>might be that I'm a little more naive, being that I'm not as
>experienced a commander.
>

>Elias

It looks good on paper. Actually trying to keep your flak units in front
of your troops to protect against fliers just means that they get shot up
by the ground forces, then the bombers blow the hell out of you. Unless
they come up with flak units with a much greater (60+ cm) range they are
pretty much usless. IMHO anyway.

Thomas