Re: [Epic] Q&A 2 (and notes)

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:46:28 +1300

On Wed 28 May, Thomas Bloom wrote:

> >Well, it depends on what you use the flak cover for, I guess. I think of
> >flak units protecting artillery pieces more than anything else. Sure,
> >your infantry detachments are going to get shot up a bit, but them's
> >the breaks, I guess. The Eldar actually have it pretty good, as their
> >flak units can actually keep up with everything else in their army,
> >_and_ shoot farther,
>
> Actually since you need to be on special orders, thus no move, you can't
> keep up with your army. Unless you buy 2 detachments and "leapfrog" them.
> Buy this time your almost better off going with some inetrcepters, or
> bombers of your own on intercept orders.
>

> >with a great shot on any flier it wishes to take.
> >Marines can't even take flak units unless they want to take IG allies.
> >Orks also have fairly cheap flak units, and if you keep a couple of
> >them dispersed along the edges of the detachment, say on the corners,
> >you should have enough coverage to deter incoming flier attacks. It
> >might be that I'm a little more naive, being that I'm not as
> >experienced a commander.
> >

> >Elias
>
> It looks good on paper. Actually trying to keep your flak units in front
> of your troops to protect against fliers just means that they get shot up
> by the ground forces, then the bombers blow the hell out of you. Unless
> they come up with flak units with a much greater (60+ cm) range they are
> pretty much usless. IMHO anyway.

Unless your on army is on the defensive. And with my IG armie I find that
this is mostly situation. Because for IG army defense is the best form
of attack, because you can take massed artillery and pound the hell out
of the enemy. Then when the enemy is softened up enough, you finish him
off with Ogryns and hellhounds, with IG heavy weapon providing
fire support. Note I always take the maxium amount of Ogryns as support as
possible, all my IG infantry always get upgraded to HW troopers and all the
hellhounds I buy are part of armoured detachments.