Re: [Epic] First Epic 40k battle

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:08:23 -0700

John Erickson wrote:

> -----> Isn't what you are describing a genetic algorithm? I saw them applied to circuits
> in a magnetic field. You start out with a bunch of children, mix them take the best results
> and so on. I do remember you had to introduce a random mutation factor along the way.

Random mutation will get you there. Eventually. After some years of
numbercrunching.
But sexual reproduction (and funnily enough, 2 sexes is the most
efficient form) is
needed for rapid evolution. You also end up with a number of populations
sharing
similarities, which is interesting (and in the problem domain in
question meant that
depending on the threat, you had to select a tactic) but that's about
all I can say.

> It was a pretty interesting subject that I got to read up on when I was in school but like
> many other things I've lost the time to do now. If you have more cool things rolling around
> in your head spout them out I like reading this stuff.

Ta. Trouble is, most are to do with Ada (see http://www.adahome.com/)
and suchlike,
plus underwater acoustics, em propagation and so on. Alas, I have had
some access to
classy data in the past, so if you find me going into detail, you'll
know that this
was one area I DIDN'T have access to classified material on! And
vice-versa.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture