RE: [Epic] more thoughts on Epic40K

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 17:57:19 -0500

<<
 Well, it's not really too hard to believe that GW will eventually
produce
 similar decks for the other races. I don't _think_ it will get too
out
 of hand (God I hope not), but we will see...

 I personally don't mind if all the races eventually get this type of
deck.
 Sure, the Imperial forces are given a boost right now, but you don't
_have_
 to play with them if you don't want to. Same thing goes with the
chapter
 specific rules. Maybe players should just delay the use of the Tarot
until
 the other decks come out, to make things a little more equitable. >>

this is a good point, but the problem is GW isnt likely to bring out a
deck
for each race.

Look at the vehicle cards for 40K - almost ALL the exclusive ones are
for
imperial. Its taken 2 years for the most technological race, the eldar,
get 4 of their own...

k.a.

-----> GW will come out with alternate decks - they'll probably make it
an add-on pack or put them in WD first then make a "battles" book a
couple years down the road. The Orks & imperials have plenty of
exclusive vehicle cards because they were the only ones with any
vehicles other than dreads & bikes. Now they've come out with a boxed
eldar vehicle, they get vehicle cards and I'd look for more when the
new Falcon comes out. You can bet there will be a "Chaos Power" Deck
and an "Eldar" deck and probably an Ork deck too for epic down the
road. We may see "Ork Clan" powers just like the marines before long,
also.
        I don't understand this assumption that "they like imperials better" -
Everyone gets a lot of attention for a while, then they move on. This
happens in ALL of their games. Right now, the majority of the new Epic
mini's are Imperial, so they get some special stuff. I believe Eldar
are next, and you can be sure that they will get some spiffy new
exceptions & add-ons as well...(Fantasy players were screaming about
Wood elves, then the Bretonnians appeared and showed everyone what
Special Rules are really about...)
        Remember, they always have a boxed set add-on for the "Big Box" games
within a year (usually a lot less) full of complicating things they
didn't fit into the basic set. Look at: The last 2 versions of Fantasy,
the current 40K, Man-O-War, Necromunda, & Talisman. Epic 2nd ed and
Warhammer Quest followed a slightly different pattern, but they still
have add-on boxes, so expect at least one.

I know everyone's uptight about it now, but give it a few months -
it'll be quite different.

Chris Miller
Buffeted for years by the winds of GW...