Re: [Epic] more thoughts on special chapters

From: DAVID C LADO, DEPT OF NEUROSCIENCE <LADO_at_...>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 12:41:44 -0500 (EST)

>>> Also, the Death company are a bit too cheesy
>>> for my liking - space marines with assualt, save and rampage are a bit too
>>> good, especially for only 20 points! Give them jump packs, and your away...
>>
>> Again, they cost an extra 5 points over standard marines. A fair deal
>> on the face of it. (and is rampage really advisable for small
>> detachments?)
>
> I think it's the 'save' ability that's the real problem.

I agree. It is too powerful with respect to other marines. As pointed
out, the Death Guard are basically souped-up terminators, and a better
value. I know the save is to represent the suicidal determination of
the death guard (or what ever), but I think it would have been better if
they just gave them an armour value of 6 instead of the save.

>Even if the death company lose in hth it's only going to lose half
>the stands it normally would (plus the stands have a good chance
>of surviving until they get into hth).
>
> Hey, here's an interesting question - what happens when a
>unit with Save & Rampage gets caught by the enemy? Does it still
>get its save?

I don't think a save helps you in this instance. Saves protect the
unit if it takes a hit, but units caught retreating from a CC are
destroyed and removed from play. The same would apply to hero units
(like nobz) that are caught retreating from CC. I don't remember
exactly what the rules say though.

David