Re: [Epic] more thoughts on special chapters

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 11:03:14 -0400

DAVID C LADO, DEPT OF NEUROSCIENCE wrote:

> > I think it's the 'save' ability that's the real problem.
>
> I agree. It is too powerful with respect to other marines. As pointed
> out, the Death Guard

        I think that's Death Company. It's OK, you've obviously
been touched by Chaos and the Arbites are on their way over... =)

> are basically souped-up terminators, and a better value.

        Actually, they're souped up Termie Bezerkers, and a better
value. Death Company - 20 pts for Save, Assault, Rampage, Stubborn,
option to upgrade to jump packs, correct? Bezerker Termies - 21 pts
for Save, Assault, Rampage, no Stubborn and no further upgrades
possible. Even ignoring the standard SMs-get-Stubborn-for-free bit,
the Death Company are still 1 pt/stand cheaper than their chaos
equivalent.

        Looking at the Chaos list, one notices that any ability
except for Rampage costs an extra point when combined with the Save
ability. Therefore, those death guys should be paying +2 pts for
Assault, Rampage instead of only +1 (and Jump Packs should be more
expensive as well).

> I know the save is to represent the suicidal determination of
> the death guard (or what ever), but I think it would have been better if
> they just gave them an armour value of 6 instead of the save.

        Good idea, much more reasonable than the save (which I
think is to represent the Death Company marines having 2 wounds
as opposed to the normal 1, but then why don't beastmen get the
Save ability as well?), but harder to price. There's a known pt
increase for giving a unit Save, but how much more should a unit
cost if you give it better armor?

> > Hey, here's an interesting question - what happens when a
> >unit with Save & Rampage gets caught by the enemy? Does it still
> >get its save?
>
> I don't think a save helps you in this instance. Saves protect the
> unit if it takes a hit, but units caught retreating from a CC are
> destroyed and removed from play. The same would apply to hero units
> (like nobz) that are caught retreating from CC. I don't remember
> exactly what the rules say though.

        I don't think they say anything, but I agree with your
interpretation. The wording in the caught-by-the-enemy rules sat
'destroyed' and not 'takes a hit'.

Scott
shupes_at_...