Re: [Epic] Guard tactics

From: Elias Tiliakos <elite_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 97 01:41:05 EDT

At 04:20 PM 6/6/97 +1300, you wrote:
>On Fri 06 Jun, Mark A Shieh wrote:
>> Sean Smith <seans_at_...> writes:
>> > But I still think it is better than if
>> > I had mixture of IG tactical and heavy weapon troops, even it is
>> > only if it is because Ogryns give me 2.9x more assault value point
>> > for point than IG tactical troops.
>>
>> With the IG command hosage, I'm thinking that it would be more
>> effective if you tried to split it up into two specialized
>> detachments, one of hw troops, and one of Rough Riders/Ogryns. And
>> just pray no one gets around the CC detachment...
>>

>Good idea, I didn't think of that combination. A problem with it though,
>is that the detachment won't be able to buy Chimeras to transport
>the Ogryns around, because you can't buy Chrimeras as supports.
>So the Ogryns would have to go round on foot, which would limit the
>mobility of the Rough Riders. Also Considering that mobility is a key
>reason for taking Rough Riders, otherwise why not take Ogryns instead,
>they have a higher assault ability than Rough Riders point for point.
>
>Were as a infantry detachment that has IG heavy weapon troops solely in
>its main force, can transport all the Ogryns brought as supports in the
>IG heavy weapon units Chrimeras.
>--
>
> Sean Smith

Why don't you just take Hellhounds instead of Ogryns for the Rough Rider
detachment? They're much more mobile, and will be able to keep up with
the cavalry. Even on a charge. Put the entire detachment on Assault
orders, and go. Sure, they might not be _as_ good in CC, but you'll
have a heck of time trying to get the Ogryns into CC at the same time
the Rough Riders are getting there, particularly without transport.
It would be fairly cheap, too. 96 for 3 command squads, 90 for 9
RR squads, and 108 for 9 Hellhounds, for a total of 294 points. The
detachment has a total assault of 51, assuming all units are involved.
Also, you only lose 3 moral from this detachment for half strength, and
that only happens after losing 11 units. Which, statistically, only
happens after the enemy dumps over 40 firepower on it.

Elias