[Epic] Guard tactics

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:49:19 -0500

Has anyone's opinion of the guard changed with playtesting? A while back
everyone seemed to think that they were simply inferior to the marines
and yet did not save you any real points. Thus, it was pointless to take
guard infantry. As I've begun painting my Guard infantry, however, I've
noticed something about the army organization.

You must buy a commander for every three (or portion thereof) squads
in your detatchment. At first this seems like a points disadvantage.
However, note that this purchase requirement allows you to split your
detatchment into three autonomous pieces and still keep all your stands
within command.

Big deal, you say. I can buy three small marine detatchments for little
more points but get much better troops. Note, however, that the guard
detechment is still one detatchment. Thus, you can get three "detatchments"
that all can have the benefit of being bigger than 15 units for little
more than the cost of buying one detatchment bigger than 15 units. Buy
the maximum amount of infantry, put them all in Chimeras, and all three
"detatchments" will keep this bonus until the entire detatchment is reduced
below half stregnth.

You also can get three psykers per detatchment, whereas the marines can
only get one, AND you can load up your troops with Commisars to give them
saves and respectable AF's.

Has anyone tried this type of maximum-detatchment strategy with the Guard?
If so, how did it work on the field?

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.